Welcome to Willow Class!
Teachers – Mr Baxter and Mrs Lunn
Autumn Term 2018 (First Half)
Welcome to Willow Class to all our new starters and their families, and welcome back to all of the Year 1s! We hope all of the daily routines and procedures are clear. As ever, if you have any queries or questions, please don’t hesitate in asking us when we’re free.
As the children settle and become familiar with school life, we will get going with daily phonics, maths, reading and writing and all of the other subjects. PE is on a Tuesday, with the children doing multi-skills, and a Thursday for Dance. Children need to have their full PE kit in the red PE box. You are of course welcome to take it home to wash it when necessary!
This term, our Topic is ‘Up, up and Away’! The children will explore the themes of flight, space and flying creatures. Please see the topic web below for more details. (Click to enlarge)
As we get the reading books out to children, we would love to invite any parents who are interested to volunteer on a regular basis, even for just 30 minutes a week, to hear children read. 1 on 1 reading to different adults is a vital part of a child’s journey to becoming a reader, and having volunteers can make a massive difference. If you are interested, please see Mr Baxter or Mrs Lunn.
We are excited to introduce Miss Whateley, our new trainee teacher. Please come and say hello!
We are currently assessing the children, and reading books will be given out in the near future. When they have been given out, please see the instructions inside your child’s reading record book, to explain how you can ensure that your child regularly has a new book and that it is at the correct level.
Please also look out for any parents meetings, where we will discuss different aspects of your child’s learning, and get to answer questions. The first is scheduled for Thursday 13th, and is a quick meeting to check that everything is fine in regards to the new school term, explain about reading books and answer any questions.
- Your child needs a drink every day and a fruit snack
- PE kits need to be kept in school in the big red box
- School milk if free for all 4 year olds – you will need to fill out the form in the starter pack for your child to have daily milk. If your child is older than 4, please contact Cook Milk at www.coolmilk.com
- If your child is eligible for extra funding (if you are on income support, in the services or if your child is adopted), please complete the relevant form in the starter pack – this will mean extra funding will be spent on your child
- If your child would like to bring in show and tell (something they’ve made, an object of interest, a toy etc), they are welcome to do so on Friday and keep it in the show and tell box
- Please be aware that it is very possible that anything brought into school will get broken or lost!
- Children need a waterproof coat in school every day
We have had a fabulous start to the term – they really are a delightful class! We look forward to many happy experiences and memories to be made for the coming year.
Thank you for your support
Joe Baxter and Angie Lunn