Kenn & Kenton Federation Governing Body
Just like in an individual school, the Kenn and Kenton Federation governors have legal duties, powers and responsibilities. They act together and not as individuals. The Board of Governors has three core functions:
- To ensure clarity of vision, ethos and direction
- To raise standards of Teaching & Learning and to hold the Executive Headteacher to account for the educational achievement of the schools and their pupils
- To oversee the financial performance of the Federation and to ensure the money is well spent
The board of governors recognises that the Executive Headteacher is responsible for the implementation of policy, day-to-day management of the schools and the implementation of the curriculum.
The board of governors meets six times a year. There are two committees who meet four times a year to fulfil their roles and responsibilities outlined in their terms of reference; Teaching & Learning Committee and Finance, Personnel and Premises Committee.
Why are we here?
School governors have a wide range of responsibilities. They help to raise the standards of pupil achievement and plan our school’s future direction. Governors are also accountable for the performance of the schools to parents and the wider community. The Executive Headteacher has responsibility for the day-to-day management of the school, but governors now have a variety of legal powers and duties, which means that they are responsible for the overall management of the schools and are accountable for the schools’ successes. The relationship between the governing body and the headteacher is therefore a very close one, based on partnership.
Governor’s roles cover the following areas:
- Strategic – agreeing the aims and values of each school: setting a policy on the curriculum; setting budgets and approving school development plans; responding to inspection plans and publishing action plans.
- Monitoring – making sure that each school keeps to the policies, budgets and plans and keeps up to date with the quality and educational standards in the school.
- Executive – taking direct responsibility for the recruitment of senior staff and some disciplinary matters.
- Accountability – making sure parents are kept informed about what is happening in the schools and taking parents views into account, and
- Supporting – supporting and advising the headteacher and providing practical help and skills.
Present Governors are:
Jan Caig – Local Authority governor, appointed by the Local Authority, term ends 02/10/2021, Chair of Governors and a member of the Teaching & Learning Committee. Registered business interests: none. E-mail: email@example.com
Jane Lewis – Parent Governor, elected by parents, terms ends 03/10/2021, a member of the Finance, Personnel & Premises Committee and Appeals Committee. Registered business interests: Trustee of Friends of Kenn PTA
Will Dale – Co-opted Governor, appointed by the governing body, term ends 20/09/19, a member of the Finance, Personnel & Premises Committee and Pay & Performance Committee. Registered business interests: Chartered Surveyor, JLL, Company Director, Pinpoint Electronics Ltd
Rev John Williams – Ex-officio Governor, member of the Teaching & Learning Committee and Appeals Committee. Registered business interests: none
Joe Baxter – Staff Governor, elected by school staff, term ends 16/05/2022, a member of the Teaching & Learning Committee and a member of the Finance, Personnel & Premises Committee. Registered business interests: none
Liz Ricroft – Co-opted Governor, appointed by the governing body, term ends 18/07/2022, Registered business interests: none
Laurence Adams – Clerk to Governors. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
How to contact us: Please email email@example.com
- The governors have adopted their own Governors‘ Handbook which contains information on the role of lead governors, Terms of Reference and the governor’s Code of Conduct. This document is reviewed annually at the first meeting of the new academic year.
Governors who have served over the previous 12 months:
Carol Smith – Co-opted Governor – term ended 18/01/2018
Julie Gibbs – Co-opted Governor – term ended 31/05/2018
Dave Roberts – Co-opted Governor – term ended 21/07/2018