Art at Kenton Primary School
At Kenton Primary school we value art and design as an important part of our student’s entitlement to a broad and balanced curriculum. Art has a very important place within our curriculum. We view art as a vehicle for creativity and individual expression and seek to inspire, engage and challenge our pupils, equipping them with the knowledge and skills to experiment, invent and create their own works of art.
Our teaching provides an understanding of the diverse art forms so that the children experience drawing, painting, collage, textiles, 3D designs, printmaking and digital media. We also endeavour to provide the children with as many opportunities as possible to experience art in the ‘real’ world, collaborating with professional artists and exposing the children to a range of creative experiences. As pupils progress they should be able to think critically and develop a more in depth understanding of art and design and be confident in their approach to the subject.
Our aim is to provide a curriculum that ensures all pupils:
- Produce creative work and feel confident in exploring their ideas.
- Become proficient in using a range of mixed media.
- Can articulate their ideas and evaluate and analyse pieces of art.
- Know about great artists, craft makers and designers and the influence they have had on culture and art.
- Are given opportunities to participate in a range of creative activities and events.
- Are introduced to an appreciation of the arts that will last a lifetime.
- Provide children with opportunities for self- expression and enhance self -esteem.
Art throughout the school